When it comes to cooking, Maine Halibut is extremely versatile in the kitchen - rich and meaty, it looks white and can be baked, broiled, steamed, or poached - and even stands up well on the grill! So feel free to try the below recipe for Grilled Halibut with Lemon-basil Vinaigrette and we are confident you'll enjoy it.
- 4 5- to 6-ounce halibut steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic cloves, and grated lemon peel in a small bowl to blend. Stir in 2 tablespoons of fresh basil and capers. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper (can be prepared 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature).
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Season halibut steaks with salt and pepper. Brush fish with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette, dividing equally. Grill or broil halibut steaks until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer fish to plates. Re-whisk remaining vinaigrette; pour over fish. Garnish fish with remaining 1 tablespoon basil and serve.