Properly prepared, Maine lobster will keep frozen for 9-12 months. Below are instructions for freezing Maine lobster:
- Lobsters should be chilled and live.
- Blanch lobsters in rapidly boiling salted water for 60 seconds. Use 1 tablespoon of salt for every liter/quart of water.
- Chill blanched lobster in an ice water bath.
- Following a 15-20 minute chill, pat the lobster dry to remove excess water.
- Place lobster in the freezer or vacuum bags, removing as much air as possible (Ziploc vacuum bag systems available at supermarkets work well.)
- If not using vacuum bags, place in a second freezer bag or wrap with freezer wrap.
- Freeze at -18 C◦ (0 F◦), which standard for home freezers. If possible, freeze at a lower temperature to maintain the quality of the meat.
- Thawing directions: Frozen lobsters should be thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
- Thawed lobsters should be boiled in salted water for 12-15 minutes until cooked.
The process is provided by The Lobster Institute.